Having a fully functional garage door is essential for the security and convenience of your home in Fairfield, California.
One crucial component of your garage door system is the sensors. These sensors are designed to prevent the door from closing if an object or person is in the way. Ensuring that they are working correctly is vital for the safety of your family and the longevity of your garage door. So, how do you test these sensors, and what do you do if you suspect a problem?
Understanding Your Garage Door Sensors
Garage door sensors, typically located at the base of the door tracks on each side, are part of the garage door’s safety system. They usually consist of two units, each containing a light – one is an emitter, and the other is a receiver.
These sensors use an invisible infrared beam to detect if anything is obstructing the garage door. If the beam is broken, the door should automatically reverse to prevent an accident.
Step-by-Step Guide to Testing Your Garage Door Sensors
- Visual Inspection: Start by visually inspecting the sensors. Ensure they are clean, free from cobwebs or debris, and that nothing is obstructing their view. The sensors should be aligned correctly; if they are not, they might not work as intended.
- Check the Lights: Most sensors have lights that indicate their status. A solid light typically means they are operational, while a blinking light could signify an alignment or obstruction issue.
- Test with an Object: Place a non-breakable object like a roll of paper towels in the path of the garage door and attempt to close it. The door should reverse upon contacting the object or sensing its presence in the path. If it doesn’t, there’s a problem with the sensors.
- Alignment Test: Sometimes, the sensors may become misaligned. Gently push them in different directions to see if the lights change or the door’s behavior adjusts. They should be facing each other directly.
- Wiring Check: Inspect the wires leading to the sensors for any signs of wear or damage. A broken wire can disrupt the sensor’s functionality.
- Manual Override: If after these checks your garage door still isn’t responding correctly, use the manual override feature to operate the door until the issue is resolved.
Common Problems with Garage Door Sensors
Dirt, dust, and spider webs can accumulate on the sensor lenses over time. This buildup can obstruct the sensor’s ability to transmit or receive the infrared signal properly, resulting in malfunctions. Regularly cleaning the lenses with a soft cloth can prevent this. Be gentle to avoid scratching the lenses, which could impair their functionality.
Sensors work in pairs, with one sending an infrared beam to the other. If they become misaligned, perhaps due to accidental bumping or vibrations from the door’s operation, this beam can be interrupted, causing the door to stop functioning correctly.
You can check alignment by measuring the height of each sensor from the ground and ensuring they point directly at each other.
The wiring that connects the sensors to the garage door opener can become damaged over time. Rodents, wear and tear, or unplanned disconnections can cause the wires to fray or break. Regularly inspect the wires for any signs of damage, and ensure they are securely connected.
If you notice exposed or frayed wires, it’s best to contact a professional for repair.
Direct sunlight can sometimes interfere with the sensor’s infrared beam, causing the garage door to malfunction. This usually happens when the sun is at a particular angle and shines directly into the sensor’s receiver. If you notice your garage door acting up during certain times of the day, this could be the cause.
When to Call the Professionals
If you’ve performed these tests and your garage door sensors still aren’t functioning correctly, it might be time to call in the experts. While some issues, like cleaning and minor realignments, can be a DIY task, more complicated issues like wiring or sensor replacement are best handled by professionals.
This is where GoPro Garage Doors comes in. Based in Fairfield, CA, GoPro Garage Doors is a trusted name for all your garage door needs. Whether it’s regular garage door maintenance, repair, or emergency services, our team of experienced technicians ensures your garage door operates smoothly and safely.
At GoPro Garage Doors, we understand the importance of a well-functioning garage door. That’s why we offer timely, reliable, and affordable services for garage door repair in Fairfield, CA. From sensor issues to spring replacements or new installations, our experts have the skills and tools to get the job done right.
Testing and maintaining your garage door sensors is a vital part of ensuring the safety and functionality of your garage door system in Fairfield, CA. Regular checks can prevent accidents and extend the life of your garage door. However, when issues arise that seem beyond basic troubleshooting, don’t hesitate to contact GoPro Garage Doors.
Our team is dedicated to providing top-notch service and ensuring your garage door works flawlessly. For more information or to schedule a garage door repair service, visit our website or give us a call. Remember, when it comes to your garage door, it’s better to be safe than sorry!